Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Tiki Room Song

I saw quail on my walk this morning. This is not unusual, I see them all the time. I was reminded of my favorite expression about quail which is "Run fast, fly low and always travel in groups." (I made up this favorite expression). What does this have to do with good mental health? Well, people who are depressed stay by themselves too much. They like to isolate themselves away from others. Frequently, depressed people don't have friends, either. So quail always travel together in large groups. I see a covey 15 to 20 quail in my backyard regularly. This is a good example for people. Friends are a good anti-depressant. To take the example further, the quail are always on the lookout for each other. They have each other's backs.

Today's song is the Tiki Room song from Disneyland. In case you don't know, the Tiki Room is filled with many groups of singing birds and flowers. They are all together having a good time. There are 4 parrots who are the main characters and they are friends. Here's the song. I really like it. I annoy my family when I sing it.

"In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room

In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room

Where the birds sing words and the flowers croon,

In the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room "

Go to http://davelandweb.com/tikiroom/ to see some pictures of the Tiki Room.
Go to http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/sounds.html to hear the Tiki Room song. The MP3 player version is the best one on this site.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this song.

    The Tiki Room itself is one of my all time favorites. I first found it when middle daughter M. was too scared of the Country Bears and we went looking for our own adventure. This was it. A respite from the rain, a place to calm your fears and cheer your heart!

    And you are just terrific at bringing it all home to our better functioning in this big wide world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful blog. Thanks for sharing. I remember the Tiki Room vividly from my boyhood years. It would be tough to be down in the dumps with that song and those memories swirling around. What a great concept using music, lyrics and the energy of music to help people be able to more fully engage in the experience of life. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete