Wednesday, September 1, 2010

To Change or Not To Change?

I have a wicker desk organizer in which I keep a whole bunch of papers I don't know what to do with. I don't want to throw them out but I don't have a good place for them either. So they pile up in this organizer until I decide to throw them out. The problem is that this wicker organizer has been falling apart for years. Seriously, years! Pieces of it keep coming off and I just keep using it. I was looking at it the other day and it hit me. I can get a new organizer!

Now this may sound like an obvious idea to you but it never occurred to me to get rid of it. I think I follow this pattern in other aspects of my life as well. Perhaps you do, too. I tolerate things that I should not tolerate. I put up with second best or work in inefficient ways. Why do I do this? I guess because it never occurs to me that change is possible. I can do something different. I guess change isn't possible until I believe that it is. That's pretty important to remember.

If you want to hear an interesting song about change listen to Fagin in the musical Oliver! He sings a song called, "I'm Reviewing the Situation." He is deciding whether or not to give up a life of crime. It's pretty funny.

By the way, I am planning on buying a new organizer for my papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment