Sunday, September 12, 2010

It IS a wonderful world

I am sure many of you have heard about the Chilean miners who are trapped in a collapsed mine. They are all alive (33 of them) but may have to wait 4 months to get out. Guess what they were told to do to help them handle their situation? They were told to sing for their sanity. I read the following on web.orange.co.uk.

"Chile's health minister, Dr Jaime Manalich, said a daily and nightly routine is important and having fun is critical.

"We hope to define a secure area where they can establish various places - one for resting and sleeping, one for diversion, one for food, another for work," Dr Manalich said."

"That includes singing, games of movement, playing cards. We want them to record songs, to make videos, to create works of theatre for the family."

I am not surprised. Songs help you feel good, especially if they are upbeat songs. I have a few suggestions for them. How about "High Hopes?" Or maybe they could try "It's A Wonderful World?" I know that these songs are in English, but I imagine that there are similar songs in Spanish.

The Chilean minister also mentioned sending antidepressants to the miners. Maybe he should send an iPod with a lot of songs on it, too. (If they have a way to charge it).

What songs do you think would be helpful? Drop me a comment and let me know.

Here's Louis Armstrong and "It's A Wonderful World." He smiles through the whole song and I couldn't help but smile, too. Maybe we should all sing along.

No comments:

Post a Comment