Monday, September 27, 2010

Be Heart Smart: Avoiding Unhealthy Love Relationships: Part 2

You gotta love a love song, right? For the most part, so do I, but I have to tell you that love songs are some of the best examples of screwed up thinking that I have ever heard. The lyrics of a song my 13 year old daughter listens to just flashed through my mind. "I can't live life without you." I don't even know who sings this song. I bet there are million songs with a similar theme. Send me a comment if you can think of one.

Oh, I just thought of a great one. "My Life Would Suck Without You," sung by Kelly Clarkson.

Anyway, the problem with this sentiment is that too many people take it literally. I talk to them all the time. They think they will die without the one they love. I know that relationships can be very painful. We don't call it heartbreak for nothing. But if you really believe what the song says you are screwed! It just isn't true. You can survive after a breakup or loss. It can be difficult but you will survive. Maybe we need to think of a line from another song called, "I Will Survive." Check this out and sing along if you need to. I don't know what's up with the roller skating.



I Will Survive: Anthology  Gloria Gaynor CD
My Life Would Suck Without You  Kelly Clarkson CD

6 comments:

  1. You make a very valid point here Angela. There are so many songs that the words are nonsense and this is the message repeatedly being listened to by our youth. ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The song was released in 1978 when "Roller Disco" was very popular. "I Will Survive" has a disco beat so I guess the video was trying to take advantage of the popularity of both Disco and Roller Disco.

    The Roller Disco concept was also used as one of the central plot lines in the movie "Xanadu" which was released in 1980.

    As for song titles, how about these?
    "You Done Stomped on My Heart (And You Mashed that Sucker Flat)"
    "All the Guys that Turn Me On Turn Me Down"
    "Am I Double Parked by the Curbstone of Your Heart?"
    "Don't Believe My Heart Can Stand Another You"
    "I'm Just A Bug On The Windshield Of Life"
    "I'm Just A Bug On The Windshield Of Life"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't reply directly to the above comment maker, but if you read this, thanks for the comment.I had forgotten about the popularity of roller skating. I did recently watch part of Xanadu so what you said made sense. Thanks also for the song titles. They are great.Ihave to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article Angela! You are so right about the words we hear ourselves say, including what we sing. In fact some sages believe that song can deepen the words more than just speaking them. Welcome to the Empowered Tribe!

    Many Blessings,
    Karla Setchel
    www.KarlaSetchel.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela,

    'twas me. I had to change my email address because the Google account uses the email as the posting name and I was using one of my generic emails that I have for signing onto various lists.

    TonyB

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's another really good song for the list:

    "They're Coming to Take Me Away"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzHtm1jhL4

    ReplyDelete